Monday, May 11, 2009

DNA Ghetto Fab Photo Shoot

Just got what I think is the last of the pics from my photo shoot with my personal stylists Dirty Cash, Jenna Stevenson, my lil model cousin Melissa Vandaele & the DNA Photo Crew outta SB.

Stoked on the ideas and how it came out. Our main goal was to promote street wear as a life style and a personal brand, with a hipster pop edge and emphasis on skate and Latino culture.

Working in the skateboarding industry does rub off on me quite a bit, and when I was in Jr. High I always gravitated to the skate, over surf & snow, always, because Shorty's was the shit at that time and I had to have my one pocket OG back pack and "horty" hoody. Yal know what I am talking about. Not just because I grew up with Shortys in Santa Barbara, but because skateboarding was just a little bit dirtier & steezier than surfing. I could actually get on a skate and ollie with my white Kostons on. My love for skate culture and fashion has been with me a long time. On anther note, I have also been noticing high fashion brands like LV jockin' the skate scene too, because they know how big the market is and what it represents. And then you have Pharell. LOL. Anyways. Thus you have skateboards and hot chics.

I wanted something bubbly and poppy but hard.

Mike and I also really wanted to push the Latino culture into the shoot as well. When you are an SB loc, you are down with the 'siders and cholos. That is how is works. You go to parties and there are Mexicans kicking it with the surfers, punks, everyone is in the mix. I see kids pushing the styles at SB High, that we tried to high light. Flannels. Mad Doggers or "Locs". Catholicism. High Socks. Chucks. Lip Liner. Mexican Candy. This idea does need to be expanded...And all of the above reasons are why I like Mike Giant. He throws down with Latino culture and its real.

Mike Rojas brought the dirtier edge to it, a little grunge and sex in the mix. Jenna contributed her knowledge of high fashion and organization of detail, and let me tell you, they both have lots of good ideas and most importantly an EYE FOR FASHION & TRENDS. Derren does have a special talent for taking good pictures and Ana knows how to pimp them out! But most importantly they all support me and I support them and it is refreshing working with people who are ampted on the same stuff and are motivated to get shit done.

We attempted to do a second shoot to contrast with more high fashion items, but from the looks of the pics, it seems like the lighting was just not right so that shoot will definitely need to be done again!

I am hoping to do another shoot soon, perhaps around the same theme as well. If you have a good camera, give me a holler!

Anyways, just me and my little cuz kickin' it at the market eating candy, with nothing to do but cause MISHIEF.










2 comments:

dirtycash said...

shit came out proper... totally a very talented team..... Fun working with all everyone.... and I can't wait to style another shoot.... This one just gave me better ideas for the next one..... Sexy chickas for sure.....

MichelleVaughan said...

next time there is a shoot like this hit me up! ha
I love it!!